B.S. in Political Science, Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey 1982;
M.A. in International Relations, The University of Chicago, USA, 1984;
Ph.D. in Political Science, Boston University, USA, 1990.
Areas of Interest
Political Ideologies: nationalism, international labor migration, women and Islam, fascism, liberalism.
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden (2010) "The pathologies of Turkish republican laicism", Philosophy and Social Criticism (Sp. Iss. SI), Vol.36, No.3-4, 489-504 (AHCI)
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden (2009) "Political participation from a citizenship perspective", Middle East Law and Governance, Vol.1, No.1, 90-116 (NA)
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe (2007) "An Oxymoron: the origins of civic-republican liberalism in Turkey", Critique: Critical Middle Eastern Studies, Vol.16, No.2, 171-190 (OTHER)
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe (2007) "Denationalization of citizenship: the Turkish experience", Citizenship Studies, Vol.11, No.3, 283-299 (SSCI)
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe (2007) "The Pigeon on the bridge is shot", Middle East Reports online (NA)
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe (2005) "Civil society, Islam and democracy in Turkey: a study of three Islamic non-governmental organizations", The Muslim world, Vol.95, No.1, 23-41 (AHCI)
- Another empire? a decade of Turkey's foreign policy under the justice and development party, Öktem, Kerem and Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden and Karlı, Mehmet (eds.), İstanbul: Istanbul Bilgi University Press, June 2012
- Symbiotic antagonisms: competing nationalisms in Turkey, Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden and Keyman, Fuat (eds.), Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: The University of Utah Press, March 2011
- Vatandaşlığın dönüşümü: üyelikten haklara, (Prepared by: Kadıoğlu, Ayşe), Istanbul: Metis Yayınları, May 2008
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, Zaman lekesi, İstanbul: İstanbul Bilgi Üniversitesi , February 2006
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden, "Necessity and state of exception: the Turkish State's permanent war with its Kurdish citizens", Turkey Between Nationalism and Globalization, Kastoryano, Riva (ed.), London: Routledge 2013, 142-161
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden, "Genos versus devlet: conceptions of citizenship in Greece and Turkey", In the Long Shadow of Europe: Greeks and Turks in the Era of Postnationalism, Anastasakis, Othon and Nicolaidis, Kalypso and Öktem, Kerem (eds.), Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, March 2009, 115-142
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden, "Vatandaşlığın ulustan arındırılması: Türkiye örneği", Vatandaşlığın Dönüşümü: Üyelikten Haklara, Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden (ed.), İstanbul: Metis Yayınları, May 2008, 31-54
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden, "Türkiye'de vatandaşlığın anatomisi", Vatandaşlığın Dönüşümü: Üyelikten Haklara, Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden (ed.), İstanbul: Metis Yayınları, May 2008, 168-184
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden, "Vatandaşlık: kavramın farklı anlamları ", Vatandaşlığın Dönüşümü: Üyelikten Haklara, Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden (ed.), İstanbul: Metis Yayınları, May 2008, 21-30
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Vatandaşlık ve siyasal katılım", Prof Dr. Ergun Özbudun'a Armağan (Essays in Honor of Ergun Özbudun), Yazıcı, Serap and Gözler, Kemal and Keyman, Fuat (eds.), Ankara: Yetkin Yayınevi 2008, 225-246
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Muslim feminist debates on the question of headscarf in contemporary Turkey", Companion to Contemporary Islamic Thought, Oxford: Blackwell , June 2006, 609-624
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Can we envision Turkish citizenship as non-membership", Citizenship in a global world: European questions and Turkish experiences, London: Routledge , October 2005, 105-124
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Milliyetçilik- Liberalizm ekseninde vatandaşlık ve bireysellik", Modern Türkiye'de siyasi düşünce: Milliyetçilik, İstanbul: İletişim Yayınları, April 2002, 284-292
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Türkiye'de vatandaşlık ve bireyleşme: iradenin akıl karşısındaki zaferi", Liberalizm, devlet, hegemonya, Keyman, Emin Fuat (ed.), İstanbul: Everest Yayınları , March 2002, 258-282
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Önsöz", Ne mutlu Türküm diyebilene : Türk ulusal kimliğinin etno-seküler sınırları, 1919-1938, Yıldız, Ahmet (ed.), İstanbul: İletişim Yayınları , October 2001
- Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "Die Leugnung des Geschlechts: Die Türkische Frau als Objeckt in Grossen Gesellschaftsentwürfen", Die Neue Muslimische Frau. Standpunkte und Analysen, Pusch, Barbara (ed.), Würzburg: Ergon-Verlag , September 2001, 31-50
- Akçapar, Burak and Akgün, Mensur and Altunışık, Meliha and Kadıoğlu, Ayşe, "The debate on democratization in the broader Middle East and North Africa: a civic assessment from Turkey: Istanbul Paper = Genişletilmiş Orta Doğu ve Kuzey Afrika'da demokratikleşme tartışması: Türkiye'den sivil bir tespit: İstanbul Çalışması ", The Atlantic Alliance at a New Crossroads: International Conference, Istanbul, Turkey: Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV), June 2004, 1-26
- Before SU Publications
Cumhuriyet İradesi-Demokrasi Muhakemesi: Türkiye'de Demokratik Açılım Arayışları (Republican Will-Democratic Reason: Search for a Democratic Disclosure in Turkey) (Istanbul: Metis, 1999).
Author and Editor or Co-editor:
Vatandaşlığın Dönüşümü: Üyelikten Haklara (Transformation of Citizenship: From Membership to Rights) (Istanbul: Metis, 2008).
(co-edited with Fuat Keyman) Symbiotic Antagonisms: Competing Nationalisms in Turkey (Salt Lake City: The University of Utah Press, forthcoming in March 2011).
(co-edited with Mehmet Karlı and Kerem Öktem) Another Empire? Turkey’s Foreign Policy Transformations (Istanbul: Istanbul Bilgi University Press, forthcoming in 2011)
Refereed Journals (in chronological order):
“Citizenship, Immigration, and Racism in a Unified Germany with Special Reference to the Turkish Guestworkers,” Bosphorus University, Journal of Economics and Administrative Studies, 6/1-2, 1992, pp. 199-211.
“Devletini Arayan Millet: Almanya Örneği” (A Nation in Search of Its State: The German Case), Toplum ve Bilim, 62, Fall 1993, pp. 95-111.
“Women’s Subordination in Turkey: Is Islam Really the Villain,” The Middle East Journal, 48/4, Autumn 1994, pp. 645-661.
“Impact of Migration Experiences on Gender Roles: Findings of a Field Research in Turkey,” International Migration, 32/4, 1994, pp. 533-560.
“The Paradox of Turkish Nationalism and the Construction of Official Identity,” Middle Eastern Studies, 32/2, April 1996, pp. 177-194.
“Migration Experiences of Turkish Women: Notes from a Researcher's Diary,” International Migration, 35/4, 1997, pp. 537-557.
“Republican Epistemology and Islamic Discourses in Turkey in the 1990s,” The Muslim World, LXXXVIII/1, January 1998, pp. 1-21.
“Citizenship and Individuation in Turkey: The Triumph of Will Over Reason,” CEMOTI , 26, 1998, pp. 23-43 (also translated into Turkish and published in Fuat Keyman (ed.), Liberalizm, Devlet, Hegemonya (Liberalism, State, Hegemony), Everest, Istanbul, 2002, pp. 258-283/Reprinted in English in Steunebrink G. and E. van der Zweerde (eds), Civil Society, Religion, and the Nation: Modernization in Intercultural Context, Russia, Japan, Turkey (Studies in Intercultural Philosophy 13, Rodopi, Amsterdam, 2004).
“An Islamic Critique of Modernity in Turkey: Politics of Difference Backwards” (co-authored with Menderes Çınar), Orient , 40/1, March 1999, pp. 53-69.
“Civil Society, Islam and Democracy in Turkey: A Study of Three Islamic NGOs,” The Muslim World, 95/1, January 2005, pp. 23-43.
“Denationalization of Citizenship?, The Turkish Experience,” Citizenship Studies, 11/3, July 2007, pp. 283-301.
“An Oxymoron: The Origins of Civic-Republican Liberalism in Turkey,” Critique, 16/2, Summer 2007, pp. 171-190.
“Political Participation from a Citizenship Perspective,” Middle East Law and Governance, Inaugural issue, 1/1, January 2009, pp. 90-116.
“The Pathologies of Turkish Republican Laicism,” Philosophy and Social Criticism, 36/3-4, 2010, pp.489-504.
Book Chapters (in chronological order):
“The Human Tie: International Labor Migration” in Canan Balkır and Allan M. Williams (eds), Turkey and Europe, Pinter Publishers, Ltd., St. Martin’s Press, London, New York, 1993, pp. 140-157.
“Is Racism Being Combated Effectively in Germany? The New Immigration Legislation,” in Goran Rystad (ed.), Encountering Strangers: Responses and Consequences, Lund University Press, Sweden, 1996, pp. 73-93.
“Cinselliğin İnkarı: Büyük Toplumsal Projelerin Nesnesi Olarak Türk Kadınları” (Denouncing Sexuality: Turkish Women as Objects of Grand Social Projects), Bilanço 98, 75 Yılda Kadınlar ve Erkekler (Women and Men in 75 Years) (Istanbul: Türkiye Ekonomik ve Toplumsal Tarih Vakfı, 1998), pp. 89-101 (also translated into German and published in Barbara Pusch (ed.), Die neue muslimische Frau (Istanbul: Orient-Institut and Goethe-Institut, 2001), pp. 31-50.
“Democratic Citizenship,” Günay Göksu Özdoğan and Gül Tokay (eds), Redefining the Nation, State, and Citizen (Istanbul: Marmara University Research Centre for International Relations, 2000), pp. 59-69.
“Milliyetçilik-Liberalizm Ekseninde Vatandaşlık ve Bireysellik” (Citizenship and Individuation along the Nationalism-Liberalism Axis) in Tanıl Bora (ed.), Modern Türkiye'de Siyasi Düşünce Tarihi (History of Political Thought in Modern Turkey), Vol. 4 (Istanbul: İletişim, 2002), pp. 284-292.
“Can We Envision Turkish Citizenship as Non-membership” in Fuat Keyman and Ahmet İçduygu (eds), Citizenship and Identity In a Globalizing World: European Questions/Turkish Experiences (London and New York: Routledge, 2005), pp. 105-123.
“Muslim Feminist Debates on the Question of Headscarf in Contemporary Turkey,” Ibrahim M. Abu-Rabi (ed.), The Blackwell Companion to Contemporary Islamic Thought (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2006).
“Aydınlanma, Vatandaşlık ve Kadın: Türkiye Örneği,” in Fuat Keyman (ed.), Aydınlanma, Türkiye ve Vatandaşlık (Istanbul: Osmanlı Bankası Arşiv ve Araştırma Merkezi, 2008).
“Vatandaşlık ve Siyasal Katılım” (Citizenship and Political Participation), Ergun Özbudun’a Armağan Cilt I (In Honor of Ergun Özbudun, Vol. I), (Istanbul: Yetkin Yayınları, 2008).
“Genos versus Devlet: Conceptions of Citizenship in Greece and Turkey,” Othon Anastasakis, Kalypso Nicolaidis and Kerem Oktem (eds), In the Long Shadow of Europe: Greeks and Turks in the Era of Postnationalism (Leiden: E. J. Brill, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2009).
“Necessity and State of Exception: Turkish State's Permanent War with its Kurdish Citizens” in Riva Kastoryano (ed.), Turkey Between Nationalism and Globalization, (Routledge, 2013).
NON-ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS AND POLICY-PAPERS
Zaman Lekesi (Time Stain) (Istanbul: Istanbul Bilgi Universitesi Yayınları, 2006), http://www.bilgiyay.com/p/541/zaman-lekesi.
Essays and Policy-Papers (in chronological order):
“Tarihsel Açıdan Alman Milliyetçiliği, Vatandaşlık Kavramı ve Göç Politikaları” (German Nationalism from a Historical Perspective, the Concept of Citizenship and Immigration Policies), Türkiye Günlüğü, 17, 1991, pp. 104-109.
“Alaturkalık ile İffetsizlik Arasında Birey Olarak Kadın” (Women Between Being A la Turca and Unchaste), Görüş, TÜSIAD publication, no.9, May 1993, pp. 58-62.
“Türkiye’de Yaşanan Hizipleşme ve Dreyfus Meselesi” (Sectarian Tendencies in Turkey and the Dreyfus Affair), Birikim, 59, March 1994, pp. 98-101.
“Milletini Arayan Devlet: Türk Milliyetçiliğinin Açmazları” (A State in Search of Its Nation: The Dilemmas of Turkish Nationalism), Türkiye Günlüğü, 33, 1995, pp. 91-101 (reprinted in Adnan Küçük et al. (eds), 21. Yüzyılın Eşiğinde Türkiye’de Siyasal Hayat (Turkish Political Life at the Turn of the Twentyfirst Century), Vol. II (İstanbul: Aktüel Alfa Akademi, 2005), pp. 807-821.
“Cumhuriyetin Kuruluş Yıllarında Türk Milliyetçiliğinin Çelişkisi ve Seçkinlerin Tavrı” (The Paradox of Turkish Nationalism in the Founding Years of the Republic and the Republican Elite) in Nuri Bilgin (ed.), Cumhuriyet, Demokrasi ve Kimlik (Republic, Democracy, and Identity) (Istanbul: Bağlam, 1997), pp. 277-282.
“Kamusal Alan ile Özel Alanın Yeniden Eklemlenmesi: Demokratik Vatandaşlık” (Rearticulation of the Public and the Private Realms: Democratic Citizenship), Diyalog, 1, 1996, pp. 119-134 (an extended version of this article is translated into German and published in Kursat-Ahlers, Elçin, Dursun Tan and Hans-Peter Waldhoff (eds), Globalisierung, Migration und Multikulturalitat, IKO-Verlag fur Interkulturelle Kommunikation, Institut fur Soziologie der Universitat Hannover, 1999, pp. 257-274).
“Cumhuriyet Kadını: Vatandaş mı, Birey mi?” (Republican Women: A Citizen or An Individual), Varlık, 1069, October 1996, pp. 12-15.
“Sıradan Milliyetçilik: Sürekli Milliyetçilik” (Banal Nationalism: Permanent Nationalism), Varlık, 1076, May 1997, pp. 2-6.
“Yeni Alman Sağı: Bir Başka Tarihbilim Tartışması” (The New German Right: Another Debate of Historiography), Toplumbilim, 7, October 1997, pp. 63-70.
“Laiklik ve Türk Liberalizminin Kökenleri” (Secularism and the Origins of Turkish Liberalism), Defter , 11/33, Spring 1998, pp. 41-63.
“Su Canavarının Karaya Çıkışı: Devlet ve MHP” (Landing of the Sea Monster: State and the Nationalist Action Party), Birikim, 122, June 1999, pp. 23–28, http://www.birikimdergisi.com/birikim-yazi/3880/su-canavarinin-karaya-cikisi-devlet-ve-mhp#.VtA774uZbdk.
“Yirminci Yüzyılın Başında Aidiyet Biçimleri” (Senses of Belonging at the Turn of the Twenty First Century), 8. Ulusal Kalite Kongresi, 3–4 November 1999, CD-ROM, TÜSIAD, KalDer.
“Sosyal Bilimsel Sancılar” (Social Scientific Pains), Doğu-Batı, 2/7, May-June-July 1999, pp. 171–186.
“The Debate on Democratization in the Broader Middle East and North Africa: A Civic Assessment from Turkey,” Istanbul Papers 3, Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV) and the German Marshall Fund of the United States, June 2004 (co-authored with Burak Akçapar, Mensur Akgün, Meliha Altunışık –this policy paper was also translated into Turkish and Arabic).
“Eastern Union,” Oxfordforum, Oxford University Student Union, Summer 2006, pp. 38-39.
“Citizenship and Participation,” The CSD Bulletin, Centre for the Study of Democracy, University of Westminster, 13/2, Summer 2006, pp. 16–17.
“The Pigeon on the Bridge is Shot,” MERIP online, February 16, 2007, http://www.merip.org/mero/mero021607.
“The Headscarf and Citizenship in Turkey,” Social Science Research Council blog, Immanent Frame, April 23, 2008, http://blogs.ssrc.org/tif/2008/04/23/the-headscarf-and-citizenship-in-turkey/.
“The Spirit of Convivencia,” The Cost of No EU-Turkey III: Five Views, Open Society Foundation, Istanbul, May 2011 (available in English and Turkish), http://www.aciktoplumvakfi.org.tr/pdf/the-cost-of-no-eu-turkey-III-five-wiews.pdf.
“From Oblivion to Memory: Skeletons in the Turkish Republican Closet” (co-authored by Orhan Miroğlu), What Does Turkey Think? (edited by Dimitar Bechev), European Council on Foreign Relations, London, June 2011, http://www.ecfr.eu/page/-/ECFR35_TURKEY_AW.pdf.
“The Role of Islam in the Democratic Transformation of Arab Countries: can Turkish Laicism be a Model?” Democracy on the Precipice: Council of Europe Democracy Debates 2011-12 (Council of Europe publication, 2012),
“Skeletons in the Turkish Closet: Remembering the Armenian Genocide,” openDemocracy 50.50 inclusive democracy, April 24, 2015, https://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/ayşe-kadıoğlu/skeletons-in-turkish-closet-remembering-armenian-genocide.