B.S. Siyaset Bilimi, Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi, 1981
M.S. Kamu Yönetimi, Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi,, 1983
P.H.D. Siyaset Bilimi, Carleton Üniversitesi, 1991
2008-2010 European Citizenship
Framework 7 Project
2007-2009 Globalization, Europeanization and the political Economy of Anatolia
2004-2005 Civil Society in Turkey
TUSEV and CIVICUS Joint Project
1998-2000 Globalization and Turkey,
part of the Cultural Globalization Project, directed by Peter Berger, Boston University
1992-1994 SSHRC Post-Doctoral Research
Recent Changes in International Political Economy and Their Impact on North/South Relations.
1986-1989 Research Assistant
Professor Jane Jenson
Department of Political Science
Reported on "The State and The Question of Abortion".
Reported on "The Welfare State and the Identity of Women".
Reported on "Flexible Specialization and Gender Differences".
Reported on "Fordism and the Canadian Political Economy".
1986-1987 Research Assistant
Professor John O'Manique
Norman Paterson School of International Affairs
Reported on "The Quality of Life and Development".
- Keyman, Fuat (2017) "Turkey's choice: responding to security challenges through humanitarian norms with a revitalized EU anchor", International Politics , Vol.54, No.4, 453-467 (SSCI)
- Keyman, Fuat (2016) "Turkey at the heart of the refugee and ISIL crises: can the buffer state be a solution?", Review of International Law and Politics, Vol.12, No.1, 5-12 (NA)
- Rumelili, Bahar and Keyman, Fuat (2016) "Enacting multi-layered citizenship: Turkey's Armenians' struggle for justice and equality", Citizenship Studies, Vol.20, No.1, 67-83 (SSCI)
- Keyman, Fuat (2015) "The post-elections Turkey: what lies ahead?", Global Turkey in Europe (GTE) (NA)
- Aras, Bülent and Keyman, Fuat (2015) "Turkey after elections: Iranian nuclear deal, Kurdish peace process and the fight against DAESH", Wilson Center (NA)
- Keyman, Fuat and Sazak, Onur (2015) "Turkey and Iran: the two modes of engagement in the Middle East", Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies (SI), Vol.17, No.3, 321-336 (SSCI)
- Keyman, Fuat and Sazak, Onur (2013) "Kalkınma aktörleri ve yükselen pazarlar", Tüsiad Görüş Dergisi, Vol.81, 22-26 (NA)
- Keyman, Fuat (2012) "Rethinking the 'Kurdish question' in Turkey: modernity, citizenship and democracy", Philosophy and Social Criticism (Sp. Iss. SI), Vol.38, No.4-5, 467-476 (SSCI)
- Müftüler-Baç, Meltem and Keyman, Fuat (2012) "The era of dominant-party politics", Journal of Democracy, Vol.23, No.1, 85-99 (SSCI)
- Bayer, Reşat and Keyman, Fuat (2012) "Turkey: an emerging hub of globalization and internationalist humanitarian actor?", Globalizations (SI), Vol.9, No.1, 73-90 (SSCI)
- Keyman, Fuat (2012) "Turkey and the Arab Spring in light of regional conflicts", Europe in Dialogue (Europe, Turkey and the Mediterranean: Fostering Cooperation and Strengthening Relations), Vol.3, 49-58 (NA)
- Rumelili, Bahar and Keyman, Fuat and Isyar, Bora (2011) "Multilayered citizenship in extended European orders: Kurds acting as European citizens", JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol.49, No.6, 1295-1316 (SSCI)
- Keyman, E. Fuat and Kancı, Tuba (2011) "A tale of ambiguity: citizenship, nationalism and democracy in Turkey", Nations and Nationalism, Vol.17, No.2, 318-336 (SSCI)
- Keyman, Fuat (2010) "Turkey, transformation and the left media", Turkish Studies, Vol.11, No.4, 539-553 (SSCI)
- Istanbul: Living with difference in a global city, Fisher-Onar, Nora and Pearce, Susan C. and Keyman, Fuat (eds.), New Brunswick, NJ, USA: Rutgers University Press, February 2018
- "Turkey, the Arab Spring and beyond, Aras, Bülent and Keyman, Fuat (eds.), London: Routledge, September 2016
- Keyman, Fuat and Ağırdır, Bekir and Aydın Düzgin, Senem and Kemahlıoğlu, Özge and Özel, Işık, Yeni Anayasa'ya doğru: kurumsal reform ve demokrasi kültürünün gelişimi, İstanbul: TÜRKONFED (Türk Girişim ve İş Dünyası Konfederasyonu), December 2015
- Global Turkey in Europe III: democracy, trade, and the Kurdish question in Turkey-EU relations, Aydın-Düzgit, Senem and Huber, Daniela and Müftüler-Baç, Meltem and Keyman, E.Fuat and Schwarz, Michael and Tocci, Nathalie (eds.), Rome: Nuova Cultura, June 2015
- Keyman, Fuat and Gümüşçü, Şebnem, Democracy, identity and foreign policy in Turkey: hegemony through transformation, Newyork / London: Palgrave Macmillan, May 2014
- Global Turkey in Europe II: energy, migration, civil society and citizenship issues in Turkey-EU relations, Aydın-Düzgit, Senem and Huber, Daniela and Müftüler-Baç , Meltem and Keyman, Fuat and Tasci, Jan and Tocci, Nathalie (eds.), Rome: Nuova Cultura, April 2014
- Global Turkey in Europe: political, economic, and foreign policy dimensions of Turkey's evolving relationship with the EU, Aydın-Düzgit , Senem and Duncker, Anne and Huber , Daniela and Keyman, Fuat and Tocci, Nathalie (eds.), Rome: Nuova Cultura, May 2013
- Türkiye'nin yeniden inşası: modernleşme, demokratikleşme, kimlik, (Translated by: Kavasoğlu, Utku and Küçük, Sebla), İstanbul: İstanbul Bilgi Üniversitesi 2013
- Symbiotic antagonisms: competing nationalisms in Turkey, Kadıoğlu, Ayşe Gülden and Keyman, Fuat (eds.), Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: The University of Utah Press, March 2011
- Keyman, Fuat, "Rethinking the 'Kurdish question' in Turkey: modernity, citizenship and democracy", Toward New Democratic Imaginaries: İstanbul Seminars on Islam, Culture and Politics, Benhabib, Seyla and Kaul, Volker (eds.), Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, September 2016, 75-85
- Müftüler-Baç, Meltem and Keyman, Fuat, "Turkey's unconsolidated democracy: the nexus between democratisation and majoritarianism in Turkey", Global Turkey in Europe III: Democracy, Trade, and the Kurdish Question in Turkey-EU Relations, Aydın-Düzgit, Senem and Huber, Daniela and Müftüler-Baç, Meltem and Keyman, Fuat and Tocci, Nathalie (eds.), Roma: Institute of International Affairs, June 2015, 121-129
- Keyman, Fuat and Özkırımlı, Umut, "The "Kurdish question" revisited: modernity, nationalism, and citizenship in Turkey", Understanding Turkey's Kurdish Question, Bilgin, Fevzi and Sarıhan, Ali (eds.), Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, June 2013
- Rumelili, Bahar and Keyman, Fuat, "Enacting European citizenship beyond the EU: Turkish citizens and their European political practices", Enacting European Citizenship, Işın, Engin F. and Saward, Michael (eds.), New York: Cambridge University Press, April 2013, 66-83
- Aras, Bülent and Keyman, Fuat, Turkey, the Arab Spring and beyond introduction to the special issue, Taylor & Francis, July 2015
- Aydın Düzgit, Senem and Keyman, Fuat, "The illiberal turn in advanced democracies", December 2017
- Aydın Düzgit, Senem and Keyman, Fuat, "EU-Turkey relations and the stagnation of Turkish democracy", December 2012, Sabancı University ID:Working Paper 02
- SU Öncesi Yayınları
Transforming Turkey in a Globalizing World; Democratization, Globalization, Europeanization, Macmillan, London, work in progress.
Cities: The Transformation of Anatolia, The future of Turkey, Dogan Kitapları, İstanbul, 2010. (In Turkish)
Competing Nationalisms in Turkey, The Univerity of Utah Press, Utah, 2010.
Turkey in a Globalizing World, (with Nurhan Yentürk) J&D Verlag, 2010.
Remaking Turkey: Globalization,Alternative Modernities and Democracy, Lexington, Oxford, March, 2008.
Essay in Honor of Ergun Özbudun - Siyaset Bilimi Cilt I, (with Serap Yazıcı and Kemal Gözler), Yetkin Press, Ankara, 2008. (in Turkish)
Turkish Politics in a Changing World, (with Ziya Öniş) Bilgi University Press, İstanbul, October, 2007.
Citizenship in a Global World: European Questions and Turkish Experiences, (eds: with Ahmet İçduygu), Routledge: London, Global Governance Series, Janurary/07, 2005.
Changing World,Transforming Turkey, Bilgi University Press, İstanbul, 2005 (in Turkish).
Globalization, State, and Identity/Difference: A Critical Social Theory of International Relations, Humanities Press: New Jersey, January/1997.
Situating International Relations Theory: Globalization, Nationalism and Democracy, manuscript in progress (manuscript in progress).
State Problem in Turkey: Globalization, Civil Society and Democracy, Bilgi University Press, İstanbul, October, 2006 (in Turkish).
Liberalism, State and Hegemony, Everest, İstanbul, 2002 (in Turkish).
Turkey in Global-Local Nexus, Alfa: Istanbul, 2000. (with A.Yaşar Sarıbay, in Turkish)
Turkey and Radical Democracy: Politics and Democratic Governance in Late-Modernity, Alfa: Istanbul, Second Edition, 2000. (in Turkish)
Public Sphere and Participatory Democracy, Demokrasi Kitaplari, Istanbul, 1999. (in Turkish)
Orientalism, Hegemony, Cultural Difference, edited with M. Mutman and M. Yeğenoğlu. İletişim: Istanbul, two editions, 1999 and 1996. (in Turkish)
Globalization, Civil Society and Islam, edited with A.Y. Sarıbay, Vadi: Ankara, 1998/Winter. (in Turkish)
A) Articles in English
“Turkey in Globalization”, New Perspectives, no:40, 7-27,March, 2009 .
“Turkey and Postnational Europe”, European Journal of Social Theory, 11:1, 2008.
“Modernity, Secularism and Islam in Turkey”, Theory Culture & Society, March, 2007.
“Europeanization, Democratization and Human Rigths in Turkey”, in E. LaGro and K. Erik Jorgensen, Turkey and the European Union, Palgrave: New York, 2007.
“Globalization, and Social Democracy in the European periphery: Paradoxes of the Turkish Experience”, Globalizations, vol.4, issue 11, June 2007.
“Revisiting Critical Theory in the Post-9/11 Era”, Publics, October 2007.
“Modernity and Nationalism: Turkey and Iran in Comparative Perspective”, in K. Kumar and G. Delanty (eds) Nationalism, Sage, London, 2006.
“Turkey between Europe and Asia”, in G. Delanty (ed.) Europe and Asia Beyond East and West, Routledge: London, 2006.
“Globalization, Alternative Modernities and the Political Economy of Turkey”, Review of International Political Economy, 2005.
“Introduction: citizenship, identity, and the question of democracy in Turkey”, in E.F. Keyman and A. İçduygu (eds) Citizenship in a Global World: European Questions and Turkish Experiences, (eds), Routledge: London, Global Governance Series, Janurary/07, 2005.
“Articulating citizenship and identity: the ‘Kurdish Question’ in Turkey”, in E.F. Keyman and A. İçduygu (eds.) Citizenship in a Global World: European Questions and Turkish Experiences, Routledge: London, Global Governance Series, Janurary/07, 2005.
“Modernity, Democracy an Civil Society”, in F. Adaman (ed) Environmentalism in Turkey, Ashgate, London, 2005.
“Turkey: Globalization, Democratic Governance and Inequality”, in J. Tulchin and G. Bland (eds.) Getting Globalization Right: The Dilemmas of Inequality, Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 2005.
“Cultural Globalization in Turkey”, in P. L. Berger and S. Huntington (eds.), Many Globalizations, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004. (Both paper back and hard cover versions).
“Helsinki and beyond: Challenges to the State in Turkey”, in M. Uğur and N. Canefe (eds) Europeanization and the Nation State, Routledge, London, 2004. (with Ziya Oniş).
“European Integration and the Transformation of Turkish Democracy”, Centre for European Policy Studies (Brussels) and Economics and Social Policy Forum (Istanbul)/EU-Turkey Working Papers, no.2, August 2004.
“A new Path Emerges: Turkey at Polls”, Journal of Democracy 14:12, 2003. (with Ziya Oniş).
“Globalization, Civil Society and Citizenship in Turkey”, Citizenship Studies, 7:2, 2003. (with Ahmet İçduygu).
“The Principle of Fairness in Turkey-EU Relations”, Turkish Policy Quarterly, Fall 2004.
“Fairness and Reciprocity in Turkey-EU Relations, Turkish Policy Quaterly, 2004.
“Globalization, Migration and Citizenship in Turkey”, in Globalization. Eleonere Kofman and Gillian Young (eds), Pinter, London, 2003. (with Ahmet İçduygu)
“Cultural Globalization and Turkey”, in Many Globalizations. Peter Berger (ed.), Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2002.
“Globalization, Migration and Security: The Turkish Case”, Global Governance, (vol: 6, no.3, 2000).
“Globalization, European Integration and Democratization in Turkey”, Turkish Policy Quarterly, 2:1, 2002.
Globalization, Islam and Democracy in Turkey", in Globalizing Institutions, Jane Jenson (ed), Asgate, London, 2000.
“Globalization, Civil Society and Democracy in Turkey”, in Civil Society in Uncivil Times, D. Durst (ed), Vertigo, London, forthcoming.
"Turkish Democracy in Global Modernity", in Rethinking State, Nation and Citizenship, Günay Özdoğan (ed), Eren Publishers, Istanbul, 2000.
"Double-Faced State, Political Patronage and the Consolidation of Democracy", Middle Eastern Studies, (October, 1998), with Metin Heper.
"Rethinking Security in the Post-Cold War Era", Global Governance, (vol.3, no.3, 1997).
"Community, Identity and Difference: Ethical Considerations on Turkish Modernity", in Resurrecting the Phoenix, D. Durst and M. Dimitrova (eds), EOS Publishing, Sofia.
"Articulating Difference: The Question of the Other in International Political Economy", The Review of International Political Economy, (vol.2 no.1, 1995).
"On The Relation Between Global Modernity and Nationalism: The Crisis of Hegemony and The Rise of Islamic Identity", New Perspectives on Turkey, (no.8, 1995).
"Towards A Different Political Economy: A Dialogical Reading", Studies in Development, 1997.
"How Critical is Critical International Relations Theory", Studies in Development, (no. 21, 1994).
"Problematizing the State in International Relations Theory", in Beyond Positivism: Critical Reflections On International Theory, C. Sjolander and W. Cox (eds), Lynne Reinner Publisher: Boulder, December, 1993.
"Must we all be Post-Modern?", in Studies in Political Economy, no: 31, 1990, with Jane Jenson.
"Mapping the Concept of Modernity: Three Discursive Positions on Western Capitalism", Carleton University Occasional Papers Series, no: 16, 1988.
"Beyond Global Society", Studies in Political Economy, forthcoming.B) Articles in Turkish
“Rethinking Identity and Turkey”, Doğu Batı, vol.41, Summer 2007. (in Turkish)
“11 Eylül Sonrası Dünyada Türkiye'nin Dış Politikası: Demokratikleşme, Ekonomik İstikrar, Güvenlik”, in Davut Dursun, Burhanettin Duran, Hamza Al (eds.) Dönüşüm Sürecindeki Türkiye: Aktörler, Alanlar, Sorunlar, Istanbul: Alfa, 2007.
“Küreselleşme, Uluslararası İlişkiler ve Hegemonya”, Uluslararası İlişkiler Dergisi, vol.3, issue 9, 2006.
“Türkiye Dış Politika ve Orta Doğu’nun Yeniden Yapılandırılması”, Avrasya Dosyası, vol.12, issue 2, Summer 2006.
“Kurdish Question in Turkey, Issue 209, September 2006. (in Turkish)
“Postmodernism, Identity and Democracy”, in Adnan Küçük, Selahattin Bakan ve Ahmet Karadağ (eds.) Türkiye'de Siyasal Hayat, Istanbul: Aktüel Yayınları, 2005. (in Turkish)
“Globalization, Ethics, and Freedom”, Sivil Toplum, vol.2, issue 5, 2004. (In Turkish)
“Social Demokracy in Türkey”, Doğu Batı, vol. 29, Aug 2004. (In Turkish)